Running heads are not required at Bank Street, but if your instructor insists that you use them, this is how to make them. Please note that a running head should include no more than 50 characters (i.e., letters, spaces between words, and punctuation).
The words, Running head appear only on the title page. They are written in sentence case. The running head is UPPER CASE. It is placed flush, in the top left-hand corner:
Running head: CONCISE MEANINGFUL SNIPPET OF YOUR TITLE
Abstract and All Subsequent Pages
In the top left-hand corner just write the running head:
CONCISE MEANINGFUL SNIPPET OF YOUR TITLE
If you are not sure how to do this here are some instructions in Microsoft Word 2007 and 2010 .
- Go to the View tab,
- Select the Print Layout document view.
- Double click the header area of the document.
- On the Header & Footer Tools Design tab, in the Options group, select the check box for Different First Page.
- In the First Page Header box at the top of page 1, type Running head: and then your abbreviated title.
- Go to page 2 of your document and delete the phrase Running head.
- On page 1, Running head will remain in your first page header, and only your abbreviated title will appear on subsequent pages.
- American Psychological Association, 2010, pp. 23, 229-230) ↵
- This running head contains 40 characters (with spaces) ↵
- http://www.apastyle.org/learn/faqs/running-head.aspx ↵