The following are general rules for formatting a paper in APA style at Bank Street.
Use one-inch margins at the top and the bottom. If you plan on having your IMP printed and bound, the left-hand margin should be 1.5 inches.
Paginate (number the pages) on the top right corner of the page. Start with the title as page 1, abstract page 2… This makes searching and printing pages in a PDF easier.
Indent paragraphs using the tab key; do not leave spaces between paragraphs.
APA7 allows for more different types of fonts.
- sans serif fonts such as
- 11-point Calibri,
- 11-point Arial,
- or 10-point Lucida Sans Unicode
- serif fonts such as
- 12-point Times New Roman,
- 11-point Georgia,
- or normal (10-point) Computer Modern (the default font for LaTeX)
The titles of books, periodicals, films, videos, etc., should be italicized and not underlined. Do not use italics for emphasis; use syntax instead Also see Quotation Marks, when and when not to use them.
(American Psychological Association, 2020, pp. 43-48, 61-67)
- https://apastyle.apa.org/style-grammar-guidelines/paper-format/margins ↵
- https://apastyle.apa.org/style-grammar-guidelines/paper-format/page-header ↵
- https://apastyle.apa.org/style-grammar-guidelines/paper-format/paragraph-format ↵
- https://apastyle.apa.org/style-grammar-guidelines/paper-format/font ↵
- https://apastyle.apa.org/style-grammar-guidelines/italics-quotations/italics. ↵